Search Results

45 items found

  • ABOUT | Townofsouthcongaree

    Welcome Welcome to the official website of the Town of South Congaree, SC. Located close to the Columbia Metropolitan Airport, we are a town of just over 2,300 residents. Established in 1957, we are a community that is ever-changing. We are proud of our past, but also excited for what the future holds. Because we are a suburb of Columbia, SC, we consider ourselves a community accepting of everyone. Many families have young children, while others of us are either approaching or past the age of retirement. We have Congaree Elementary School, a part of Lexington School District Two, where you can walk along the sidewalks close by and hear children's laughter on the playground. In the park beside our town hall, you can find teens playing an exciting game of pickup basketball while the little ones play on park features and moms lay out picnics nearby. ​ We have many churches that are often focal points of activities for our citizens. We have a United Neighbors Club, a hint of the importance of neighbors to us. We have a great library and an equestrian arena where lots of activities happen too! We have businesses we are proud of so please stop by and visit these. Eat and shop here. We want to get to know you and perhaps one day, you will want to be a part of our town. We are South Congaree and we are glad you chose to visit our website. Now, come in person and say hello!

  • BUSINESS LICENSE FAQ | Townofsouthcongaree

    FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ​ Who needs a business license? ​ Every person engaged or intending to engage in any calling, business, occupation or profession in whole or in part within the Town limits of South Congaree, is required to pay an annual license fee for the privilege of doing business and obtain a business license. “Business” is defined as a calling, occupation, profession or activity engaged in with the object of gain, benefit or advantage, either directly or indirectly. Do I need a business license? ​ Does your entity (person, partnership, organization, or business): sell items to the public? claim office deductions or business expenses for a commercial or a residential location? use advertisements or business cards using an address based in the Town of South Congaree? have a business checking account? have an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS? have any other professional or occupational state license regulated by SC Labor, Licensing and Regulation (for example, architects, contractors, cosmetologists, engineers, physicians, therapists, etc.)? operate, manage or have control of the entity? transport passengers? receive compensation as an independent contractor and/or a form 1099 for work? own and/or lease property to other businesses or individuals? occupy a commercial space used for an office? have a physical location outside of the Town of South Congaree and provide services within the Town limits of South Congaree? have a physical location outside of the Town of South Congaree and perform work on or provide services to a construction project within the Town limits? If you answered YES to any item listed above, then a business license is required. The Town of South Congaree requires all businesses operating within the Town limits, to obtain a business license and to pay a business license fee. This requirement ensures that businesses operating in the Town of South Congaree comply with local and state regulations. Tax-exempt organizations may be exempt from requiring a license. Please provide proof of exemption. How much does a business license cost? ​ The business license fee is determined by where the business is located (inside/outside Town limits) and the business’ gross receipts/income. New businesses pay license fees on projected gross income from the start of business date through June 31st of that year. State law mandates that fees be paid on gross income without deductions for expense incurred for costs such as rents, salaries, cost of goods and other operational expenses. Existing businesses must renew their business license annually. Renewal fees are based on the previous year’s gross income reported to the Internal Revenue Service. Businesses located outside the town limits South Congaree must report gross income exclusively for business conducted inside the town limits only. What is “gross income”? ​ “Gross income” means the total income of a business, received or accrued, for one calendar year collected or to be collected from business done within the town, subtracting income from business done wholly outside of the town on which a license tax is paid to some other town or a county. Gross income is defined by ordinance to mean the total received from the business operation without deductions of goods, overhead or salaries. It should conform to the gross figure reported on the business federal income tax return defined by the IRS Code Section 61(a). See the (sample IRS tax ) forms to see which line item to report from your tax return. ​ Gross income for brokers or agents means gross commissions received or retained, unless otherwise specified. Gross income for insurance companies means gross premiums collected. Gross income for business license tax purposes shall not include taxes collected for a governmental entity, escrow funds, or funds which are the property of a third party. The value of bartered goods or trade-in merchandise shall be included in gross income. The gross income for business license purposes may be verified by inspection of returns and reports filed with the Internal Revenue Service, the South Carolina Department of Revenue, the South Carolina Insurance Commission, or other government agency. Does a business license expire? ​ Yes, business licenses expire June 31st of each year. You will have until July 31st to renew your license the following year to avoid a 10% late fee per month after the due date. Non-resident businesses must renew their license prior to conducting business in the new calendar year. If you do not intend to conduct business in the town limits, please indicate this on your renewal form. If your business is closed, you may indicate this on your renewal form by noting this and the date the business closed. Are any businesses exempt from obtaining a business license? ​ Yes, some businesses are exempt from business license fees, however the business or organization must still apply in order to obtain a compliance certificate. Please contact the Business License office at 803-755-2760 for more information about exemptions. Do I have to display my business license? ​ Yes, the license should be displayed in a conspicuous place in the business establishment. A transient or non-resident business should carry the license upon his person or in a vehicle used in the business readily available for inspection by any authorized agent of the town. For companies with multiple vehicles, like contractors, it is recommended that each vehicle contain a copy of the license. If I am buying a business that already has a business license, is a business license transferable? ​ No, the current ordinance states that business licenses are not transferable, and a transfer of ownership is considered a termination of the old business and the establishment of a new business requiring a new business license, based on the income of the old business. Before buying a business make sure that the old business complies with the Current town ordinances. ​ What should I do if I sell or close my business? ​ You should notify the business license office by completing the Business Change/Closure Form to make the town aware that your business closed or was sold to another business or individual. Include the name of your business, physical location of your business, date sold or closed, and the business license account number located on your printed license. Your form should be signed and dated. Is there anything I need to do if my business location or activity changes during the year? ​ If your business moves to another location or the activity of your business changes, you should notify the Town of South Congaree by email or mail immediately. A change in business activity may need to comply with building code or zoning code regulations. A change of address must be reported to license official within ten (10) days after the business moves to its new location. The license will then be valid at the new address after notifying the license official in writing and complying with zoning and building codes and approval of other departments as determined by the license official. Without this written notification, the existing business license is terminated, the business will be deemed as operating without a business license and subject the licensee to prosecution. Do I need a separate business license for each location and for each type of business activity? ​ Yes, a separate license is required for each place of business and for each classification. If the gross income cannot be separate for classifications at one location, the license fee shall be computed on the combined gross income for the classification requiring the highest rate. If I am working for someone who has a business license already, do I need a business license? ​ If you are not on that company’s payroll with taxes deducted out of your paycheck and you receive a 1099 form instead, then you are considered self-employed and a business license is required. How do I register the name of my business? ​ You may contact the Secretary of State office to verify if anyone has incorporated the name you would like to use and inquire about the laws governing this issue. How do I find out in which licensing jurisdiction my business is located? ​ You can use our online Lexington County Parcel Viewer ( ) to find your jurisdiction. On the right side of the screen, use the search bar to enter the address (Omit road, street lane etc.) and click "enter". If your business is inside town limits, you should see "(2-E)" in the Tax District column. ​ If you need help, please email the Town Hall for assistance: Are there any other business taxes required in the Town? ​ At this time the Town of South Congaree does not have a Hospitality tax or Accommodations tax. The SC Dept. of Revenue also requires an Accommodations Tax. For more information visit or . If you have any questions please visit our town hall at 119 West Berry Road, West Columbia, South Carolina 29172 or e-mail your questions to .

  • MAP TO COURT W PIC | Townofsouthcongaree

    Court Room Entrance Proper Attire Required Clerk of Court's Office Entrance sOUTH CONGAREE MUNICIPAL COURT South Congaree Municipal Court conducts bench trials twice a month on Wednesdays, at 8:30 A.M. Court is held at 119 West Berry Road, West Columbia, SC 29172 ​ Clerk of Court: Dina Lusk

  • BUSINESS LICENSE | Townofsouthcongaree

    BUSINESS LICENSING INFORMATION Contact Us All businesses must obtain a business license when engaging or intending to engage in any calling, business, occupation, or profession, in whole or in part, within the limits of the Town of South Congaree, and shall be required to pay an annual license tax for the privilege of doing business in the Town. The license payment shall be computed on the gross income generated from the preceding calendar year on business performed within the limits of the Town of South Congaree. No deductions from gross income shall be made except income from business done wholly outside of the Municipality on which a license tax is paid to some other municipality or a county, taxes collected for a government entity, or income which cannot be included for computation of the tax pursuant to State or Federal law. ​ BUSINESS LICENSE RENEWALS ​ All Town Business Licenses expire on April 30th each year; the deadline to renew without penalties is April 30th. Annual license fees are based on the gross receipts/gross revenue for the business (or projected gross for new businesses). Please print a copy of application form, fill in the application and return to the town hall. Please make sure all appropriate documentation is included with your application so that the processing will not be delayed. Please do not mail cash payment. You may also pay by company check or cashier’s check. ​ The town makes every effort to remind you of your Business License Renewal, sometimes this may not happen. It is your responsibility to renew whether you receive renewal notice or not. Please mark your calendar for this yearly renewal to avoid penalties. ​ If you have any questions please visit our town hall or e-mail your questions to . ​ ​ Town Clerk (803) 755-2760 ext. 101 Documents & Forms BUSINESS LICENSE APPLICATION HOW TO CALCULATE BIS. LIC. FEE BUS. NAME CHANGE/CLOSURE SAMPLE IRS FORM

  • POLICE DEPT | Townofsouthcongaree

    Police Chief Josh Shumpert ​ Contact the Chief (803) 755-2760 ext. 105 E-mail: ​ ​ In South Carolina victims have rights. The Town of South Congaree provides a victim's advocate to ensure victim's rights are protected. if you've been a victim of a crime, press the button below to contact your advocate. CLICK FOR VICITM'S ADVOCATE Town of South Congaree Police Department Message from the Chief of Police, Josh Shumpert It shall be the mission of the South Congaree Police Department to provide for the safety and security of the citizens of the town by serving and protecting the public interest and guarantee liberties of the individual through: the enforcement of applicable laws and ordinances; the promotion of crime prevention; the investigation of criminal activity; the identification and arrest of those committing crime; the advocacy of, and assistance to, those victimized by crime; the control of traffic and the enforcement of traffic laws. Our Agency Values ​ Essential to our mission are the values that guide our work and decisions, and help us contribute to the quality of life in the Town of South Congaree. Although, we sometimes must balance them, we never ignore them. The men and women of the Town of South Congaree Police Department values: Human Life; we value Human Life and dignity above all else. Integrity; we believe integrity is the basis of community trust. Laws and Constitution; we respect and protect the rights of all citizens. Excellence; we strive for personal and professional excellence. We therefore strive to do our best. We have vision for the future. Accountability; we are accountable to each other and to the citizens we serve. Planning and Research; we understand the importance of planning for the future. Cooperation; we believe that cooperation and teamwork will enable us to combine our diverse backgrounds, skills, and knowledge to achieve common goals. Community Problem-Solving; we give high priority to preventing crime and helping citizens feel safe.

  • VICTIM'S ADVOCATE | Townofsouthcongaree

    Investigator & Victim Services Phone: (803) 755 - 2760 x 105 Fax: (803) 755 - 0456 ​ ​ For non-emergent Victim Services pertaining to the Town of South Congaree, please call (803) 755 - 2760 x 105 or complete the contact form to reach us by email. E-Mail Victim Advocate SC Victims' Asstance South Congaree's Police Department is dedicated to the principle that all persons in South Congaree will be provided equal protection under the laws of this state and the federal government, as well as any ordinances set forth by the South Congaree Town Council. It is the goal of our department to treat all victims of crime with compassion and respect, ensuring that their dignity is maintained and to promote healing of the suffering that they may have endured. No victim of crime will be turned away for any reason or discriminated against based on sex, race, religion, social or economic status, sexual orientation, age or mental or physical disability. Some of the Services our Investigator Provides: Emotional and moral support. Identify and inform victims of their rights under the law. Conduct on the scene crisis intervention. Act as a liaison between victim, police officers, investigators, and community-based agencies. Arrange for professional counseling and support groups. Provide information and referral. Educate law enforcement and victims of new law pertaining to specific victimization such as domestic violence. Provide applications and information to victims concerning South Carolina Crime Victims' Compensation; explain purpose, procedures, and policies, and assist in completion of forms. Intervene on behalf of victims with creditors, employers, etc. upon request. Help prepare victims for court and provide court advocacy and accompaniment. Provide information regarding current status of case. Provide information on rights, services and procedures if a victim or witness is harassed or threatened. Assist domestic violence victims in obtaining Orders of Protection and emergency housing. Your Rights as a Victim or Witness of a Crime: Right to be treated with dignity and compassion. Right to be protected from intimidation and harm. Right to be informed concerning the criminal justice process. Right to restitution and compensation. Right to preservation of property and employment. Right to due process in criminal court proceedings. Right to special recognition and attention to the very young, elderly, those who are handicapped or who have special needs, by all criminal justice, medical, and social service agencies. Right to be notified of a suspect's arrest or detention. Right to be informed when a suspect/offender is released, escapes, or is transferred. Right to attend a bond hearing and make recommendations. Right to attend court proceedings. Right to have personal property taken, recovered, or returned expeditiously. Right to be informed of the status and progress of the case.

  • COVID-19 | Townofsouthcongaree

    SC GOVERNOR INFORMATION RESOURCES TOWN OF SOUTH CONGAREE INFORMATION SC SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loan Certification Letter Lexington Medical Center Town Hall Updates MUSC Health Supporting our Local Restaurants Executive Order No. 2020-10 - Directing Additional Emergency Measures Due to COVID-19 Prisma Health’s free virtual visit SC DHEC CDC - Center for Disease Control White House Announcement & Resource List